Huntington Beach, California, December 30, 2022
Last month, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced it had launched the Renovation Lead-Safe Media Kit to educate the public and prevent lead exposure when performing and promoting renovation, repair and painting (RRP) projects on homes built before 1978.
The new media kit contains:
- Introductory Text: A brief overview that can be shared with any audience of the health risks of lead exposure and ways to stay lead-safe while renovating.
- Renovate Lead-Safe Fact Sheet: An infographic summarizing the risks of lead exposure during RRP projects on pre-1978 homes and steps for DIY lead-safe work practices.
- Sample Public Service Announcements: 15-, 30- and 60-second announcement scripts about hiring lead-safe certified contractors and using DIY lead-safe work practices.
- FAQs for DIYers: Answers to common questions about lead-safe work practices for those who choose to perform renovations themselves.
- Video Creation Ideas: Suggested ways to educate others and promote the availability of lead-safe certified contractors and DIY lead-safe work practices.
- Sample Social Media Posts: Shareable social media posts promoting the availability of lead-safe certified contractors and DIY lead-safe work practices.
- Lead-Safe Shopping List: A list of equipment DIYers can use to stay safe while performing renovation work on pre-1978 homes.
“This new EPA effort is important because there are still some 34.6 million homes in the U.S. that have lead-based paint somewhere in the building according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development,” said Michael Chapman, Laboratory Manager at LA Testing’s Huntington Beach facility. “Anyone that is about to perform a renovation project in a pre-1978 home or building should assume there is a good chance lead-based paint is present. At LA Testing, our environmental and industrial hygiene laboratories offer lead and other heavy metal testing services to protect families and workers, and to help keep companies in compliance with health and safety regulations. We also provide sampling supplies, easy-to-use test kits and personal protective equipment.”
To learn more about lead or other environmental and industrial hygiene testing services and supplies, please visit www.LATesting.com, email info@LATesting.com or call (800) 755-1794. For access to lead and other indoor environmental quality test kits, visit www.EMSLTestKits.com.
About LA Testing
LA Testing is California’s leading laboratory for environmental and indoor air quality testing of asbestos, mold, lead, VOCs, formaldehyde, soot, char, ash and smoke damage, particulates and other chemicals. In addition, LA Testing offers a full range of air sampling and investigative equipment to professionals and the general public. LA Testing maintains an extensive list of accreditations including: AIHA LAP LLC., AIHA ELLAP, AIHA EMLAP and AIHA IHLAP, CDC ELITE, NVLAP, State of California, State of Hawaii Department of Health and other states. LA Testing, along with the EMSL Analytical, Inc. network, has multiple laboratories throughout California including South Pasadena, Huntington Beach, San Leandro and San Diego.