Huntington Beach, CA, November 29, 2016
According to a report prepared by the Environmental Health Investigations Branch of the California Department of Public Health, approximately five million Californians have been diagnosed with asthma at some point in their lives. The report states that almost three million residents currently have asthma and that over one in five are considered to have very poorly controlled asthma.
For anyone who suffers from asthma, an attack can occur when they are exposed to environmental triggers, which could be indoors or outdoors. These triggers vary from individual to individual, but there are a number of common asthma triggers that impact many people. Common asthma triggers may include:
- Mold - Breathing in mold can trigger an asthma attack. Homes and buildings with high humidity levels or that have suffered from water damage may contain high levels of mold.
- Dust Mites - Dust mites are tiny bugs that are found in most homes. To prevent an asthma attack, use mattress and pillowcase covers to make a barrier between dust mites and yourself and wash bedding on the hottest water setting.
- Cockroaches - Cockroaches and their droppings can trigger an asthma attack. Get rid of cockroaches by removing as many water and food sources as possible.
- Pets - Furry pets can trigger an asthma attack. Keep pets out of bedrooms, bathe pets each week when possible and vacuum regularly.
- Smoke – Smoke from burning wood or other plants is made up of a mixture of gases and small particles. Breathing in too much can cause and asthma attack.
- Outdoor Pollution - Outdoor air pollution from factories, cars and other sources can also trigger an asthma attack.
“Understanding environmental triggers that can cause an asthma attack is important for those who suffer from the condition,” said Michael Chapman, Laboratory Manager of LA Testing’s Huntington Beach facility. “At LA Testing, we offer comprehensive air testing services, sampling supplies and test kits for known allergens and asthma triggers. Indoor testing allows people to understand what they are being exposed to so they can take steps to mitigate or avoid exposure risks at home, school or in the workplace.”
To learn more about air testing or other environmental, health and safety issues, please visit www.LATesting.com, email info@LATesting.com or call (800) 755-1794.
About LA Testing
LA Testing is California’s leading laboratory for air quality testing of asbestos, mold, lead, VOCs, formaldehyde, soot, char, ash and smoke damage, particulates and other chemicals. In addition, LA Testing offers a full range of air sampling and investigative equipment to professionals and the general public. LA Testing maintains an extensive list of accreditations including: AIHA LAP LLC., AIHA ELLAP, AIHA EMLAP and AIHA IHLAP, NVLAP, CDC ELITE, State of California, State of Hawaii Department of Health and other states. LA Testing, along with the EMSL Analytical, Inc. network, has multiple laboratories throughout California including Huntington Beach, San Diego, San Leandro and South Pasadena.