Customer Service
map

LABConnect™ - Online Results & More

Tutorial | Create Account | Login

Smoke and Water Damage

Category Press Release
Publish Date 6/15/2015
Author Paul Cochrane
Title San Diego Restaurant Fire Results in Smoke & Water Damage to Popular Food Establishment
Introduction LA Testing provides analytical services to identify smoke residues, mold, lead and asbestos hazards that may be present following a structure fire.

Garden Grove, CA, June 15th, 2015

Late last month, Fox 5 published a report about a popular Embarcadero-area restaurant in San Diego that was damaged by fire.  According to the report, firefighters were able to get the fire under control shortly after arriving, but not until the building suffered major damages.  Estimates put the total cost of damages at over $1 million.

Fires in commercial and residential buildings can be devastating, even for buildings with only minor damage due directly from flames.  Even a small fire can result in widespread smoke and soot damage that can cover surfaces throughout a building.  In addition to leaving behind unpleasant odors, these residues could cause respiratory issues for anyone in the building long after the fire.

Water damage from fire suppression systems and the efforts of firefighters can also leave behind soaked building materials and furnishing in areas not touched by flames.  This moisture can quickly lead to the growth of mold in as short as 48 hours.  Exposure to mold can cause allergies, trigger asthma in some people, act as a respiratory irritant, and some types of mold can even cause infections in people with a weakened immune system.

“In older buildings that contain materials with asbestos or lead-based paints, damage due to a fire or fire suppression efforts can also create potentially hazardous conditions,” said Michael Chapman, Laboratory Manager at LA Testing’s Garden Grove facility.  “Smoke residues, mold, lead, asbestos and other materials could cause health concerns for those tasked with repairing the fire damage and even for future building occupants if these substances are not recognized and properly handled.”

LA Testing offers all of the sampling supplies and testing services needed to identify smoke residues, mold, asbestos, lead and other potential hazards in fire damaged properties.  They have also sponsored an educational video about fire, smoke and water damage that can be seen at: http://youtu.be/8tEl-BOvwNw.

To learn more about testing services for properties following a fire, please visit www.SmokeDamageTestingLab.com or www.LATesting.com, email info@LATesting.com or call (800) 755-1794. 

About LA Testing

LA Testing is California’s leading laboratory for indoor air quality testing of asbestos, mold, lead, VOCs, formaldehyde, soot, char, ash and smoke damage, particulates and other substances.  In addition, LA Testing offers a full range of air sampling and investigative equipment to professionals and the general public. LA Testing maintains an extensive list of accreditations including: AIHA LAP LLC., AIHA ELLAP, AIHA EMLAP and AIHA IHLAP, CDC ELITE, NVLAP, State of California, State of Hawaii Department of Health and other states.  LA Testing, along with the EMSL Analytical, Inc. network, has multiple laboratories throughout California including South Pasadena, Garden Grove, San Leandro and San Diego.